HOUSTON — The hole in the Angels’ rotation is coming up again on Tuesday, and there’s no obvious answer to fill it.
Ever since the Angels first decided to send down right-hander Jack Kochanowicz in early July, they have struggled to find anyone to take that spot. Twice they’ve resorted to simply bringing back Kochanowicz, with results so disappointing they aren’t likely to try again this season. They optioned Kochanowicz again after he gave up 11 runs on Wednesday.
The Angels had right-hander Victor Mederos make three starts in that spot before he went down with a shoulder injury. Mederos was scheduled for an MRI exam earlier this week, and as of Friday afternoon interim manager Ray Montgomery said all he had heard was that Mederos had “inflammation.”
With Mederos, Kochanowicz and Carson Fulmer (who is also injured) all off the board, the Angels have two reasonable options among pitchers on their 40-man roster.
Right-hander Caden Dana threw 62 pitches in a start at Triple-A on Thursday night, so he would be on a normal four days of rest to start on Tuesday in Kansas City.
The Angels opted not to use Dana on Wednesday – when they had an unexpected need for a starter because of Tyler Anderson’s extra day on the paternity list – because at that time he would have only four days of rest after a 99-pitch start at Triple-A. In that game, Dana struck out 13 and allowed one run in seven innings.
Dana, 21, has a 5.93 ERA this season. He was shut down for several weeks in the middle of the season because of what the Angels called “fatigue.”
Left-hander Sam Aldegheri, 23, last pitched on Sunday at Double-A. He is scheduled to pitch Saturday at Double-A, so if he doesn’t, that could be an indication of the Angels’ plans.
Aldegheri has a 4.05 ERA at Double-A, including a 2.31 ERA over his last eight starts. He started three major league games last September, and he’s pitched twice in relief this season.
If the Angels want to make a more out-of-the box selection of someone not on the 40-man roster, perhaps they would call up 24-year-old left-hander Mitch Farris, who is coming off a 13-strikeout game at Double-A. Farris, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves last December, has a 4.27 ERA at Double-A, including a 1.52 ERA with 32 strikeouts in his last 23⅔ innings.
Right-hander George Klassen, one of the Angels’ top pitching prospects, started on Friday, so he would not be an option. He is also not on the 40-man roster.
Another alternative could be right-hander Walker Buehler, who was released by the Boston Red Sox on Friday. Buehler, 31, had a 5.45 ERA with the Red Sox, who sent him to the bullpen last week, after he started 22 times. The Angels would only have to pay Buehler a pro-rated portion of the major league minimum, and he could soak up innings that would keep the Angels from rushing a young pitcher who might not be ready.
NOTES
First baseman Nolan Schanuel (left wrist contusion) said he still hasn’t resumed any baseball activity. Schanuel has already been out for six days, so his hope of returning in the minimum 10 days seems unlikely now. …
Outfielder Jorge Soler has increased his work on the field, taking some fly balls. He has taken batting practice several times, including hitting against a high velocity machine this week. …
DH Mike Trout and infielder Christian Moore, two players who had been in slumps lately, were out for early batting practice on Friday. …
Utility man Chris Taylor (fractured hand) was set to DH in the third game of his rehab assignment at Triple-A on Friday. Taylor is expected to stay at Triple-A at least through this weekend.
UP NEXT
Angels (RHP Kyle Hendricks, 6-9, 5.04 ERA) at Astros (RHP Spencer Arrighetti, 1-5, 6.21 ERA), Saturday, 4:10 p.m. PT, FDSN West, 830 AM
Originally Published: